Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I made it!

I made it to Naruto safe and sound! I had about one full week of orientation in Tokyo and Tokushima City, so now I'm trying to settle in to my new hometown. First things first - I cannot get a phoneline/internet in my apartment until two weeks after I get my alien registration card, which won't come until later this week or next week. So I cannot hook up my vonage phone until then. Right now I'm at the Naruto Board of Education Office and I will come here for "work" until school starts in September. Also, my address should be written this way:

Kizu 574-1 A6
Muya-cho, Naruto-shi
Tokushima-ken
772-0004 JAPAN

I don't remember what I told everyone before but there have been minor changes in the format.

My apartment is super cute, but I'm allergic to the brand new tatami mats. The new ones come with a lot of dust. It's really hot and humid here, but the food is amazing! In Tokyo I tried raw horse, raw octopus, quail egg, chicken gizzard, chicken liver, soft dessert tofu, and various forms of sake. In Naruto I've tried real ramen, fresh Naruto fish, and seaweed miso soup. Delicious! Speaking of food, it's almost time for lunch.

I have so much to write about so I will try to break it up into sections over the next two weeks or so. Topics to come: the long plane ride, Japanese cars, Awa Odori Festival, English Camp, communal showers, squat toilets, garbage separation, work, my apartment and bike, Naruto, etc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Raw....horse?

Thank you, my dear Jane, for ruining my breakfast.

Anyway, I'm glad you made it safe and sound! Yay for Japan!

Peace,
Erin!
P.S.: Did you really think you *wouldn't* be allergic to something in your new apartment? I mean, really.