Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Everything seems tiny to me

Here is a snipet of pictures of things that seem small to me:

This is Jeff's car next to an American size car.

The minivans are actually mini.


Here is a neighborhood street. It looks like an alley, but it's a street that people live on.

Gas is 144yen/L, which is $4.64/gall so I'm sure that's why the cars are smaller. The engines are smaller. And small cars are easier to maneuver on tiny streets.

These are average size soda/coffee cans.

This is a tiny bag of popcorn. It's the same size as the single serving size in the states, but it's the only size that's available. This is pretty typical of all groceries. The sizes are smaller, but you pay the same amount you would in the states.

This is a shopping cart at all stores - grocery store, menards type stores, drug store, etc.

The cans maybe smaller, but they are available EVERYWHERE in vending machines. Snacks are only available in freeway roadstop vending machines, if that. Soda, coffee, water, ion supply drinks, beer, and cigarette vending machines are everywhere.

This is rare, but a couple blocks from my house is an egg vending machine!!!!


School starts tomorrow, so I won't be coming into the Board of Education office everyday with my computer. I'll also be busier than I have been, so I won't be posting quite as much until I get internet access in my apartment (which was ordered three weeks ago!!!!!).

Here's the Board of Education office which is layed out like all Japanese offices - desks pushed together in a wide-open room - no cubicles and no privacy.

Tomorrow I teach at Naruto Junior High school with is about 1km behind those white buildings on that island.

This is the ferry that I will take my bike on to get there because it's too dangerous to bike on the car bridges.


Dear Gypsy Sanchez (see previous comments), Yes I definitely had a "What About Bob?" moment while I was sailing. I didn't get tied to the front sail though!

I think I answered all other questions in the last couple posts. If not, ask me again - email or comment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane, reading your blog makes me feel (almost) like I am visiting Japan. I can pretty much cross it off of my list of places to visit, because I've BEEN THERE. Or at least seen pictures of everything already. I love the tiny things!

Heart,
Erin

Anonymous said...

Egg vending machine. Yummmm.