Monday, July 23, 2007

What I'll miss about my life in Japan

This is a list I've been compiling for a while. I might add some more in the next week or so if I get access to the internet again.

MISS
my friends!
onsens
100yen stores
my bike
road mirrors around nearly all corners
okonomiyaki
black sesame ice cream
Lawson giant corn
efficient, clean, reliable public transportation
no tipping
quality service
squat toilets
Japanese pine trees


WON'T MISS
odor of burning garbage/plants
cigarette smoke in nearly all public places
smell of squat toilets
futons
changing my shoes all the time
weather reports without radar
tv shows watching people eat delicious food
sake
3.7% milk

WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND
Japanese fashion
Japanese mullet
manga and anime
how no one gets warts from onsen visits
why no one dies in the electric buzz tub in onsens
why it isn't instinctual for most Japanese people to just repeat what s/he just said slower when I haven't quite caught what they said right away (they either give up without any attempt at repeating or repeat it just as fast as the first time they said it)

LOOKING FORWARD TO
dryers
using my credit card
furniture in general
skim milk
bagels
hearty, healthy sandwiches
movie theater popcorn
mac n cheese
turkey burgers
buffalo burgers
cheeseburgers
lean steak
fresh delicious corn on the cob

I'm planning on writing about any culture shock that I have when I get back, as well as commiseration over things I miss about Japan. So this is not the end of my blog! I'll write about the bullfights I watch tomorrow and my trip to Sydney too. Sayonara, for now.

No comments: