Saturday, July 21, 2007

Farewell Parties

I've been to about seven get-togethers that would constitute as farewell parties by Japanese standards. Getting together with two people for dinner after school is still considered a party here. Many of my Japanese friends and colleagues have never had Mexican food, so I suggested the Mexican restaurant in Naruto for more than half of these parties. Everyone liked the food, and I enjoyed their company. I received many really nice presents such as geta (traditional Japanese sandals), indigo dyed coasters, washi (handmade paper, a t-shirt, and a piece of Otaniyaki pottery.

Two of my schools held farewell ceremonies with the students. My favorite school had an entire assembly just to say goodbye to me. It was really sweet. The principal and student leader made speeches, and then I gave a speech in both English and Japanese. Then the students presented two presents to me, geta (traditional Japanese sandals) and a laminated calender decorated by all the students! They had a professional photographer come to school and take a photo of the entire school with me in the middle. They're going to send me the picture once I'm home. I was really touched by all the hoopla.

Another school included me in their closing ceremony before summer vacation. Those students gave me an indigo dyed fan.

And of course the board of education threw a party too. It was the biggest one, and the most fun!
Here I am with my lovely supervisor.This is a family that I've become really good friends with. Here we are after dinner and my last trip to an onsen.
This is silly, but I said goodbye to my plants too. My friend Christine who is staying another year is going to take care of them now.


No comments: