Thursday, October 12, 2006

Never a dull moment with the tech teens

Today's classes were interesting to say the least. A couple of students are behind a year in school and I was told that it was because they were part of a "motorcycle gang" that joy rides at night and were arrested last year for doing so. They were kicked out of school for the remainder of the year. Most of the teachers did not think they should be allowed back in this year, but the principal (who does not have to interact with them at all) chose to let them come back. That's just background information for my story, but I should note that "motorcycle gang" probably has a drastically different definition than what probably immediately popped into your head. They were probably just riding mopeds at 3am.... which might be why they sleep in class. But anyways, one of them interrupted the teacher many times to ask me what I thought about wwII and how I felt about Pearl Harbor. He told me that he doesn't like America but does understand that there are good people that live there. So I told him that America remembers Pearl Harbor but does not discriminate against Japanese Americans because of it. They seemed surprised that Americans didn't have a grudge against them. The teacher asked me if America was going to go to war with N.Korea, and I told them that I wasn't sure. I sure hope we don't because that would pretty much be a goodbye to my generation, assuming the draft would have to be re-instated. Class lightened up once we started playing a word category game though.

A couple of you have asked me what Japanese people think about N.Korea and everything that has happened in the last few days. I only asked one person, but she said that everyone thinks N. Korea is crazy and that Japan will block all imports/exports/immigrants until they stop making threats. I read in the Japanese online news that Japan has recently taken all of those measures and the new Prime Minister Abe was quoted saying that Japan will stick to their current policies of not possessing or detonating nuclear bombs, but that Japan has the technology to quickly make one if need be. If Japan actually followed through with this, it would go against everything that their peace memorials stand for, and I think that many citizens would be against it.

No comments: