Sunday, October 29, 2006

excitement

Last weekend Justin and I checked out the jazz bar in Naruto. They play live jazz every Friday night, and it's really amazing stuff! They played their own original songs in Japanese and then a couple in English. The owner of the place is very friendly and chats with everyone that comes in. A couple other people wanted to practice/show off their English, so we made a few friends.

This week I taught a Halloween lesson in every class. I showed pictures of Mary (my sister) and her friends at a Halloween party as examples of costumes. I also showed a picture of my friend's son dressed up as a cell phone which all the Japanese kids really got a kick out of. Since I talked about it all week, it was about time to celebrate it! So yesterday Jill and I went to a bar that foreigners frequent. She dressed up as a cat and I went as the kanji character chiisai, which means small and looks like this: 小 (you might need Japanese on your computer in order to see it). Creative, but poorly executed as paper taped to my gray outfit. I'll post a picture once I transfer my pictures. Most people thought I was a skeleton until I gave them the hint that I was a kanji character. I think I'm going to dress up again on Tuesday at school because I think the kids will crack up. They're more comfortable with speaking English with me after a silly class.


In the last two weeks the 8th graders in all of my junior high schools got to go to Okinawa on a school trip for a couple days. Okinawa is a lot like Hawaii from what I've heard. I'm pretty sure there were no worksheets, tests, or essays involved. And neither parents nor assistant language teachers were invited, only the 8th grade teachers and principals. Just an observation...

Japan doesn't do daylight savings, so now I'm 14 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time and 15 hours ahead of Central.

Karen, let's be happy I got as far as shirasu eyeballs. I've tried everything else!!! Maybe someday when I'm really hungry and I muster up enough courage, I will try the shirasu just for you. :)

Dana and Delores, I'm happy to hear you've tuned in! If you want to catch up, August probably has the most interesting cultural posts. Aren't you excited? You blog now!

No comments: