Friday, September 08, 2006

School Lunch

I don't have much time to write today, but I uploaded a couple pictures of school lunch so that you can get a feel for what I eat everyday. This school has an sd card reader, so I can post pictures! More often than not, everything tastes good. There's some squid in this one, and that packet is full of jam:


I didn't care for this salad, but the rest was good. Keep in mind that milk is whole milk:

This is what I had today. All of it was delicious. That thing on the right is kind of like a slice of cold omelet:


There's no such thing as cold lunch at these schools, even for teachers. A set of students from each class goes to the kitchen and picks up all the food and trays, and brings it all back to the room. They set it all up in the front of the classroom and two students serve everyone. They wait until everyone has food and then they begin eating. The teachers eat with their homeroom class or in the teachers office room. They do the same thing as the students. Everyone eats the same thing. After lunch all the teachers brush their teeth. I got myself a brush and tube of toothpaste for every school so that I can participate in teeth brushing time. What's weird is that most of them have bad teeth by American standards. I'm guessing that the smoking and constant tea and coffee drinking has more of an effect than the constant brushing.

Tomorrow all three of my junior high schools have cultural festivals which is mostly a recital from what I can tell. They all spent every afternoon this week preparing for it. There will be band performances, singing, dancing, speeches, etc. At lunch time at one of the schools each class will set up a store selling food. So I'm going to attempt to go to parts of all three. Then I'm going to relax on Sunday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummm. Hey, is that a hot dog bun in each picture?
Dad.

mtkobes said...

hi jane! i haven't talked to you in forever, but the new facebook format streamlined your "slurping" post in my mini-feed, and i followed the ensuing steps of creepy fb stalkerness to your blog. i'm glad i did though - I HAD NO IDEA YOU WERE IN JAPAN. so cool.

anyway, that food looks delicious, and i just wanted to say so. arfy0