Friday, September 01, 2006

Day 2

It rained all night and into the morning (including my 40 minute ride to school) so we didn't have evacuation practice outside. I taught a class of first years (7th grade) and a class of second years (8th grade) this morning. The second years were terrified of embarrassment and participated very very minimally. The first years were active, but you could see the uncomfortable-ness of puberty setting in. Middle school is so awkward! But anyways, English class is taught in Japanese, and this totally confuses me since every foreign language class I've ever been in was never in English. The kids liked my pictures though. They were confused by the concept of fried cheese. When conprehension questions were asked after my self introduction, they knew the answers regarding Eddie better than the rest. All the teachers and principals have been very nice to me so far.

I ate the school lunch again today. It was an average school lunch where the meat is sketchy but the soup and rice is okay. I ate with the first year class, but it was pretty uneventful. They eat in their own classroom. The kids get the food from the lunch person, bring it to the classroom, dish it out for all the students and then clean up afterwards. They work together very well.

This afternoon I will coach a third year student who will be competing in an English speech contest in a couple weeks. She wrote the speech in Japanese, the English teacher who isn't fluent translated it, and I corrected it.

Have a good weekend everyone!


p.s. Happy 3 year Eddie! I love you!

No comments: