Sunday, June 24, 2007

Best Birthday Ever!!!!!

I had so much fun this weekend! My friends Erin, Justin, Christine and I celebrated my 23rd birthday on Saturday by going paragliding off the top of a mountain, bathing in an onsen, eating Mexican food, and watching a band perform live at a bar in Naruto.

We weren't sure if the weather would cooperate with us for the paragliding, but we were having a lot of fun with all the paragliding instructors and our paragliding suits that we didn't really mind waiting for the clouds to clear. The suits made us a little silly.


We went two at a time with a guide. Christine and I went first and once we were strapped in, we ran down the mountain until the canopy lifted us up. Since I was in the front I smacked into a few bushes during this process. I thought the attempt was over at one point but then all of a sudden we were in the air! It all happened so fast! The ride itself was really peaceful and beautiful. I felt really secure and safe, so there really weren't any fearing-for-my-life moments. It was thrilling nonetheless. Of course the guide was doing all the work, so I definitely had some "What about Bob?" sailing moments. This is the valley we flew down through.


Here are the pics I took from the air!






Then Justin, Erin, and the guide went... They were able to avoid the face-in-tree experience.





The onsen dip was relaxing and cleansing as usual, and the nachos and burritos really hit the spot! This was the band we saw live at a bar called D-Box.

The singer was kind of a Japanese Jack Black character. They sang about how much they love whiskey and udon noodles. What I found just as humorous was the crowd listening to them play. The crowd was politely sitting and clapping during the show. Not a whole lot of rocking out. They were clearly enjoying themselves though. The bar itself was run by a Japanese family with two boys in junior high school. They weren't my students, but it was still weird to be served alcohol by a 13 year old.

It wouldn't have been so much fun without my silly friends so thanks guys for the best birthday ever!!!!!

No comments: