Thursday, December 14, 2006

Some rambling about cheating

I'm really starting to notice all the small intricate differences in the Japanese school system. I'm sorry to say that I don't like some of them. I've already mentioned the heating issue.... I'm wearing thick socks and I haven't been able to keep my toes warm all day today.

But anyways, one of the aspects of Japanese student behavior that really surprised me at first, and now gets on my nerves, is their lack of independence or confidence in themselves. I don't really know how else to explain it, but that's how I perceive it.

In American schools, when you are called on in class or are working on a worksheet, what would happen if you turned around and consulted with three of your friends for about two minutes before answering? Or blatantly copied your friends' answers? That was always considered *cheating* wasn't it? Well that's what about 90% of the kids do here. The other 10% of the kids are the ones that are telling everyone else the answers (they aren't sly or discreet about it either), and then don't need any help when it's their turn.

I was told during orientation that this is how the kids would behave and that you shouldn't fight it because you'll just have absolutely silent classes. They pretty much said it was a cultural difference because Japan is a group society. I think they pass too much off as being a 'cultural thing' though. Regardless, kids really will just stand there in silence forever (after you call on them) if you don't let them communicate with others. Somehow standing in silence is the less embarrassing option to them. To me, the longer the silence, the more embarrassing it gets.

Now that I worry about how effective each exercise is in class, I've given great thought to this behavior. I think it really inhibits each kid's learning. That's why we consider it cheating isn't it? Why figure out what is going on in class if you know someone will always tell you the answer? It creates quite an obstacle in making lesson plans. I think that this behavior is part of the reason why there is a such a huge gap in abilities within each class. The other part might be because Japan (or at least Tokushima Prefecture) has a "no fail" policy until high school. As long as you show up to class often, you'll make it all the way up to 9th grade. Passing doesn't depend on your attempt at learning. Where's the motivation? I feel like the only thing that motivates these kids is passing the entrance exam to high school. But even then, they can keep on taking entrance exams until they get into one. It's not like they won't go to high school. I guess the kids want to go to the same school as their friends though, and that is the only reason I can think of that is motivating my students to listen to me.

The only other difference in the school system that I either don't understand or find inefficient is the counseling aspect of school. I think I need to learn more about this one before I really comment on it. For now, this is what I know. I know that the school counselor visits the school a couple times a month. They visit each school about as often as I do (4-5 days a month), but only interact with the kids that sign up to talk. At some schools, the counselor sits at his desk in the office for the entire afternoon, looks bored, and packs up and leaves as soon as he can. At other schools, the counselor actually talks with students. Perhaps I'm just generalizing based on one guy that doesn't do his job, but on the other hand, I feel like I've seen some kids that look like they aren't getting the help that they need. It's really hard to watch. I'm going to a museum with one of the counselors this weekend (she earned her phd in Missouri!), so I'm definitely going to try to learn more about it all.

I realize this is a pretty negative post. I didn't mean to say that I've lost any respect for Japanese culture. Every job has it's frustrations, and I just wanted to share my job's challenges with you guys.

I think there's a stereotype in the US of what an average Japanese student is like, but I have to say, I think those stereotypes came from Tokyo or the Japanese version of a magnet high school. I'm just not seeing it at the extent that would warrant the beginning of such a stereotype.

hmmmmmmmmmm I don't think I'm really making a point here. It's just that the way some of my students behave and study boggles my mind sometimes. It's almost as if they've been told their whole lives that specifically *Japanese* students have such a hard life and that they should really believe it. But really, they don't study that hard until 9th grade, just before entering high school. And they only join one club. Nobody is in more than one club. A few students go to "cram school" (extra classes) after school, but I'm pretty sure that's not everyday. Most of the kids seem to be home by dinner time. Japanese schools aren't that rigorous! This is really bad, but I have to try not to laugh when they all say they have a very hard life. I'm 22 years old and I've already caught myself wanting to say, "Well when I was your age, I was in 10 clubs. You'll be fine."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good luck trying to make lesson plans that account for cheating! That sounds hard. At least you get to eat a lot of desserts.

Love,
Mary