Wednesday, December 13, 2006

my life is so hard

One of the teachers that I teach English with is also the home-ec teacher. The junior high school kids get to cook twice a year. This week they got to make crepes and cake. The teacher invited me to come and help one of the groups, so I said yes. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, as usual. I helped one of the groups crack eggs and stir, which was a lot of fun. But then once all the desserts were made, and a sample was sent up to the other teachers for grading, every group gave me a dessert. How could I say no to those cute kids wearing aprons?? So over the course of an hour I sat there and consumed 6 delicious desserts! That's when it dawn on me how terribly hard this job is. I don't know if I can keep doing this!!!!

In other news, I had a few of the kids that live in the orphanage/care-giving home in my class today. They are in the special needs class, and up until this week completely ignored my presence when I was in class. No eye contact, no participation, no hellos or goodbyes, and they didn't even attempt to speak to me in Japanese. If they said anything or looked at anyone at all, it was always directed towards the other teacher. I never really pushed it with them because there are a million reasons why they could have been acting that way. However, since they received their presents from Santa and the visit from all the foreigners, they have completely changed. In class today, they made eye contact with me and spoke directly to me! And at the end of class they asked me when I was coming to their class again! Well, I just wanted to spend the entire day there with them.

Also, I was quoted in the Tokushima newspaper on Monday! A newspaperman interviewed me at the orphanage/care-giving home on Sunday. I said I was glad to see the kids smiling.

No comments: